Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the meaning of my urine analysis?

I had a urinalysis done and the result was 5 to 10/Hpf. What can this mean
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Presence of pus cells around 2 to 3 per Hpf (High power field of microscope) is normal and happens due to normal routine functioning of the immune system.

When the pus cell count in urine is more than 5 per Hpf chances urinary tract being infected has to be considered. Since the second reading you mention says pus cells 15 to 25 per Hpf the urinary tract infection is nearly confirmed.

Antibiotics have to be started empirically if you have symptoms of infection like fever, chills , burning urination, bodyache etc.

If there is no relief with the antibiotics taken then a urine culture sensitivity test has to be done to know the species of the bacteria affecting and the test also gives a list of antibiotics for which the organism is sensitive.Then starting the patient on those antibiotics will cure the infection.

Do consult a General Physician for you to be examined , confirm the diagnosis and put you on needed antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: What is the meaning of my urine analysis? 4 hours later
You did not answer my question which was the red blood cells registered 5 - 10/HPF
what does this mean. your reply a higher puz cell I already know since I have had thia for quite some time and have addressed it as you suggested, but this is the first that I experienced the red blood cells being high too.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

I apologise for not having been specific in my answer as it was not mentioned anywhere in your query that the reading was about red blood cells.

When there is infection and subsequent inflammation in any parts of the body there is damage to the blood vessels caused by the inflammatory mediators of immune reaction.

The damage caused to the blood vessels cause leakage of Red blood cells into the urine.Such damage could be present in the part of the urinary tract where there is infection.

Presence of RBCs in urine is a co finding in urinary tract infection unless other conditions causing rbcs in urine are ruled out.

Other conditions where RBCs are seen in urine are those where there is physical damage to the structures in the urinary tract like

Renal stones
Cancer growth
Stents etc

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: What is the meaning of my urine analysis? 30 minutes later
You have not adressed my initial qustion ( in he urinalysis i shows ha the red blood cel reads 5 - 10/HPF) I want to know what this indicates.
ths is in y nitial question.If you canot answer thisthen his will be he last time I willuse your services
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later

Please do refer to my second post, I have provided the information you seek.I have explained about the importance of red blood cells in the urine with respect to your report.

Follow-up: What is the meaning of my urine analysis? 1 minute later
I got your answer, thanks
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
You are welcome.

Wish you good health.