What is the maximum blood pressure reading?

If you are a patient of blood pressure, what is the maximum rate for a blood pressure reading.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anything above 150/90 to be reported Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. To answer your question I would first like to state the international classification of hypertension diagnosis, based on which hypertension is diagnosed and categorized. It is: 1. Normal: Systolic: Less than 120 Diastolic: 80 2. Pre-hypertension: Systolic: 120-139 Diastolic: 80-89 3. Class 1 of Hypertension Systolic: 140-159 Diastolic: 90-99 4. Class 2 of Hypertension: Systolic: Equal or more than 160 Diastolic: Equal or more than 100 Based on this classification, an individual is both diagnosed and categorized. Now coming to your query. If you have been diagnosed with hypertension, it depends on what category of hypertension you have been diagnosed with. If you are a patient belonging to the pre-hypertension stage, a blood pressure of above 140/90 mm Hg should raise concern. If you are a patient of Class 1 Hypertension then a blood pressure of above 160/100 mm Hg should raise concern, and if you are a patient of Class 2 Hypertension then a blood pressure of above 180/100 should raise concern. In general, anything above 150/90 mm Hg with blood pressure medication should be reported to a doctor immediately sir. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: What is the maximum blood pressure reading? 6 hours later
If I have an inflammation of the sinuses with bronchitis does affect blood pressure and any antibiotics best so as not to affect blood pressure Is augmentin (amoxicillin) Or klasid (clarithomycine) . Thanks DR.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Augmentin is the safer option Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Sinusitis with bronchitis should not really affect blood pressure, but at times may result in a mild rise due to the discomfort and difficulty in breathing, although this is rare and negligible. As for the antibiotics: 1. Augmentin contains amoxicillin and clavulanic acid: This medication can result in a rare complication of decreasing blood pressure 2. Clarithromycin: Has shown to cause an increased risk to high blood pressure So in my opinion, augmentin would be the safer option, but please also keep monitoring your blood pressure at regular intervals whilst on this medication. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Wishing you a speedy and safe recovery, and a healthy life thereafter. Best wishes.