What is the life expectancy of terminal phase esophageal cancer with atrial fibrillation?

my husband has oesophageal cancer and I was told yesterday that the tumor (now in his liver is pressing on his diaphragm) - he's also hiccupping a lot. I was also told he is now in the terminal phase. I am now wondering if this stage is days, weeks or months. He also has AF (most of his life) so the GP did mention risk of heart failure (I 'm presuming not from AF but from the fact that there's also cancer in his lungs)
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Suleman Muhammad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Terminal case, Needs Conservative management Detailed Answer: Good Day Mrs XXXX. Thank you for asking. My name is Dr Suleman and I would like to help you understand the prognosis here. Mrs XXXX I am really sorry for your troubles and I can understand your agony but as a professional I have to be honest explaining the odds of survival. According to the statistics. The 5 year survival odds for terminal esophageal malignancies are very low and less than 5 %. Now the superadding of Atrial fibrillations and diapghramatic involvement by malignancies have further complicated the issue here. Mrs XXXX I am afraid there is not much doable here except treating the symptoms and providing the relief to your husband to the best humanly possible levels. You are doing a great job and I appreciate your standby efforts and helping hand to your partner. Get the medicines compliant, treating the hiccups, managing the Atrial fibrillations and all other symptomatic managements are advised. There is a quotation in our local language I will translate in English for you. " Don't see how much moments of life are more, See how much life is in every remaining moment." May the odds be ever in your favour. My best wishes are with you. You are doing a great job. God Bless you. Kindly close the discussion if you don't have further queries please and have a very good rest of the day. Take care Mrs XXXX Dr Suleman