What is the feeling of something stuck in my throat?

ENT Specialist
For the past 3 weeks I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat this only happens when I swallow saliva it doesn’t happen when I eat or drink. I also cough up constantly flem white or sometimes brown . When I swallow saliva the seems to be a noise down my neck like a gurr sound. The Dr gave me omeprazole which I have been taking for a week this hasn't helped. I am a smoker so am worried about cancer.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please get an endoscopy done! Detailed Answer: Hello! well, i am concerned specially considering the fact that you smoke! There can be a swelling in your throat, don't worry mostly it will be a benign (non-cancerous) one, which is causing the sticky sensation. This swelling is most commonly due to acid reflux , therefore your doctor has given you omeprazole, which reduces the acidity. However I would recommend that you take esmaprazole plus domperidole combination, which comes as various trade names like kyrab-D etc, this is a much better drug than omeprazole. Another reason for the swelling and sticky sensation may be due to a sinus infection, producing increased mucus which may cause the swelling. Considering all this, I would like you to meet your ENT doctor so that he can examine you thoroughly and do an endoscopy on you to look for the cause for the swelling. You can also start gargling with warm salt water, it may reduce the swelling and give you relief. I would again emphasize, please meet your ENT doctor as soon as possible Thanks