What is the dry,itchy patch of skin on my left thigh and arm?

HI! For the third time, I have found a small dry patch of skin on my body. It's been on th outside of my left thigh twice and one on the inside of my left arm. I rubbed the dry skin off - flaked fairly easily and there is a red ring (more of a horseshoe like ring...where the skin flaked off. ) it does not itch but hurts a little to the touch. Definitley irritated considering I scratch dry skin off! Not really painfull in general. What could this be? The other times I observed this - the spot has resolved itself, leaving a light scar. I have ulcerative colitis and take asacol for it daily and have also just finished a course of antibiotics ( cipro ) for a uti. Can these things be related?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: What is the dry,itchy patch of skin on my left thigh and arm? 9 minutes later
I just looked at it again and it looks like a ring shaped burn almost!
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

By your description it seems to be a fungal infection ( tinea corporis) which is common over the thighs and can recur too.

I would like to know couple of things here.

1) Does it itch or has burning sensation?

2) Does the patch has redness or erythema?

I would be able to help you better if you can send me a picture of the lesion.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Perhaps a visit to a competent dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

I don't think it is related to the tablets you have taken or even to UTI.

But usually these fungal infection tends to occur when ones immunity goes down.

Even people tend to get more infected in hot and humid condition or one who wears tight clothes.

Please reply back with the above answers and send the pictures if possible, as this will help me in answering you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: What is the dry,itchy patch of skin on my left thigh and arm? 1 hour later
It is red, and does not itch. Small and at most a burning sensation. Unfortunately I cannot upload a picture - but do intend to see a dermatologist and my general practitioner as well. I appreciate your thoughts on this. Glad to know it is not my uc meds.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

A fungal infection usually appears as red lesion with scaling and in a ring form. It may or may not itch.
Its good that you are going to see a dermatologist for the same.

All the best,

"Wish you good health"

Dr.Bharat chawda