What is the dosage of anti rabies vaccine for dog bite?

Question
Hi Sir, I was bitten by dog on 2nd XXXXXXX 2014. I have taken anti rabies vaccine dose on 3rd XXXXXXX ,8 XXXXXXX 15 XXXXXXX (0-3-7schedule ).I have taken 3 dosage but did not followed 0-3-7 schedule properly. On 21 XXXXXXX ,one stray dog collide with me and i got small scratch and i went to hospital one doctor told me to take new 0-3-7-28 schedule and other doctor told me to take only 0-3 dosage. So I have taken one dose on 22 XXXXXXX (this is my overall 4th dose). So Please tell me that I have to continue 22jan-25jan-28-jan-17 feb (that is 0-3-7-28) schedule or I have to just take 0-3 dosage. Please tell me If I will take 0-3 dose then it will be my overall 5 dosage and if i will take 0-3-7-28 then it will be my overall 7 dosage. So please tell what can i do.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Just take only 5 th dode on 28th day of the 0 dose Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Just have your 5th dose on 28 th day from 0 dose. This is enough. Upto 6 months you no more need any Anti Rabies Vaccine. Please write back for further queries.

Follow-up: What is the dosage of anti rabies vaccine for dog bite? 54 minutes later
Hi Sir, I did not followed proper schedule of 0-3-7. First dose I have taken on 3 XXXXXXX So 2nd dose on 6jan but I have taken it on 8 XXXXXXX 3rd dose on 12 XXXXXXX but I have taken it on 15 XXXXXXX So I have not followed schedule properly.So I want to know that any problem will occur with improper schedule. Now I have completed 4 dosage. but with no proper schedule. First time that dog was my neighbour's dog So I can see that dog for 10 days. But 2nd time the dog was stray dog.That time I have taken 4th dose. Now If I take another 3 dosage (that is 0-3-7-28 and overall 7 dosage ) then these additional dosage will damage immunity level or any risk to my health due to 7 dosage of anti rabies vaccine . If any risk not involved then can i take these additional 3 dosage with proper schedule So I can relax. Please tell me that it is harmful to take 7 dosage or not?and 2nd dog was stray dog Hence I dont want to take risk. Please tell me.I deeply appreciate if you bring lot of your experience to my problem. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 10 hours later
Brief Answer: '3' dose of PEP in previous vaccinated on 25, XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello, You should have another injection of Anti- rabies vaccine on 3rd day of 0 dose of 2nd bite. As your second dose and third dose is not elapsed too much, it is considered to be very normal. Some time delay is always accepted in any vaccination schedule. Nothing to worry about this. You have started to produce antibodies against rabies on second of '0' itself. Now you have completed the post exposure prophylaxis. Now your body developed sufficient antibodies to fight against rabies shortly after 3rd dosage. Your 4th dose on 22nd January is the '0' of Post exposure prophylaxis for previously vaccinated individuals. You should have another dose on 25 th January as '3' day dose. It is enough. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What is the dosage of anti rabies vaccine for dog bite? 7 hours later
Hi Sir, as per your advice I have taken 2nd dose ('3' day schedule) today. But doctor said me to take another 2 dosage that is on 7 and 28 days for safety purpose. So Can I take these two additional dose of ARV. Please tell me there will be total 7 dosage . I deeply appreciate your advice on this. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No further dose is needed. '0' & '3' is enough. Detailed Answer: Hello, No further doses are needed. '0' and '3' dose is enough for you. This is usually advised for Post exposure prophylaxis for previously vaccinated individuals. As you are already fully immunized, further dose for any safety is not needed. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.