What is the difference between hydrocodone and ultram and which works best for painful arthritis?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What is the difference between hydrocodone and ultram? And which works best for painful arthritis ? And which is less harmful to use? And if I use ultram can acetaminophen be taken to enhance the medication?! Oh .... And I do take 800mg of IBU. Thxs
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I Prefer Ultram over Hydrocodone.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Hydrocodone is a semi-synthetic OPIOID derivative used to treat moderate to severe pain. This drug has a habit forming nature.

Ultram (Tramadol) is a Narcotic like pain reliever which is also used to treat pains of moderate to severe intensity.

A fixed dose combination of Tramadol (37.5mg) and Acetaminophen (325mg) is a rapidly-acting, longer-duration, multimodal analgesic which is effective and generally well tolerated in patients with moderate to severe pain. I personally prefer this combination to all my arthritic patients.

Once you start taking ultram & acetaminophen combination, there is no need to take Ibuprofen.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further