What is the cost of cataract surgery? Any free facility services in India?

Question
hello doctor...My sister in law ,35 yrs old has cataract....so can u please tell wat would be the cost & is there any free facility services available..in india...she is residing near to vishakapatnam.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Thanks for query.

I empathize with you. Surgeries for cataract are one of the most common and widely practised procedures done by ophthalmologist. Hence there can be cost difference among different institutes where it's been done. On an average in India the cost of the procedure would be Rs. 5000 to 0000 INR.

If you are looking for a cheap option of treatment, perhaps a government medical college institute or cataract camps are the options. I have heard that they conduct such cataract camps at Hospitals like Maxvision eye hospital or L.K.Prasad Eye Institute at Vizag. Do contact them and know when and where the camps are conducted. You should be able to get at least 50-60% discount on the treatment during those camps.

Hope this helped you. Let me know if you have further enquiries.
If you do not any follow ups, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: What is the cost of cataract surgery? Any free facility services in India? 17 hours later
My mother in law ,56 yrs old is having renal stone in mid urethra...she is advised to have cystoscopy for removal...so wat can be the expense for this procedure...kindly advise the institute giving low cost treatment...

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Pleased to answer your query again.

Unlike cataract surgery, the cost of cystoscopic removal of renal stones is influenced by various factors - the institute/doctor performing it, the type of cystoscope used, type of anesthesia used, whether or not the doctor want X-ray assistance and if he / she plans to keep her for observation, etc.

Besides that, it would be difficult to find a discounted treatment of the same unless your treating doctor writes for it.

Therefore in the case of your mother-in-law, the most cost effective treatment can only be through your treating doctor. In general the average cost of treatment can span between Rs 0000 INR and Rs. 0000 INR.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have further enquiries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: What is the cost of cataract surgery? Any free facility services in India? 2 days later
the x-ray report says
- well defined radio opaque shadow at the level of left transverse process of L1 Vertebra.?renal pelvis calculus.
- two tiny radio opaque shadows in pelvis on left side overlying the bladder.? phleboliths?calculus
- small well defined radio opaqueshadow in left iliac bone .

so what is the conclusion here....

Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 hours later

Thanks again.

Renal stone are radio opaque on X-rays mainly due to the calcium deposits in them.

A phlebolith is a similar calcium deposits in a blood vessel (vein in particular). However in this case based the location (Left transverse process of L1 vertebra corresponds to left kidney; overlying the bladder is the urinary bladder and left iliac bone most likely corresponds to the ureter) and multiple opacities, this is most likely a stone in the renal system (kidney, ureter and bladder).

That being said, the patient in question needs to be evaluated clinically and the X-ray finding correlated to confirm the possibility and to decide the treatment.

Hope I have provided all the necessary information you were looking for. Let me know if you have further enquiries.