What is the causes and treatment for sinus congestion?

I am having body aches and lots of pressure in my head stuffy nose! Feels like a bad sinus infection. What should i take
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: different treatment options Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Sinus congestion is most commonly due to allergies and infections (either viral like the cold or flu OR bacterial). It can be associated with facial pain, nasal congestion, runny nose, post nasal drip, cough, sneezing, pain in the ears or a feeling of ear fullness. In the case of an infection, a fever may also occur. The presence of body aches may mean that your symptoms are related to an infective cause, most likely viral. TREATMENT: (1) the use of enough fluids would help to reduce the viscosity (thickness ) of any secretions in the sinus and nasal passages so that they can be easily expelled (2)an antihistamine combined with a decongestant would relieve the congestion and stuffy sensation. These are available over the counter. Examples are sudafed, actifed, advil cold and sinus (3)warm compresses to the face would help increase drainage and reduce pain. This can be done for 5 to 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day (4)steam inhalation 2 to 4 times a day may also be helpful. For added effect aromatic agents such as metholated crystals can be used in the water (5) some persons find that irrigation of the nasal passages with saline is also useful. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What is the causes and treatment for sinus congestion? 7 minutes later
Thank you! Yes i have facial pain and ear pain i have been takibg over yhe counter allergy cold and sinus medications. I will continue them thanks for your feed back
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: HI You're welcome, you can feel free to contact at any point with any additional queries