What is the cause of shortness of breath?

I just had a neuclar stress test which was abnormal, the dr then immdiately wanted to perform a heart XXXXXXX on me. This was done and everything is normal, however the problem of shortness of breath, or quick desaturation is still happening what is my next step and what could be the cause
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

Nuclear stress test can produce false positive results seeking the doctor to go ahead with next step, Angiography. This is a definitive investigation to rule out coronory heart disease causing the above mentioned symptoms. Since this is said to be 'normal' not explaining the symptoms, the heart disease is virually ruled out.

The other possible causes
1) A compromise in lung function causing slight water retention in the lungs. Desaturation is probably because of low blood flow to the alveoli of lungs or the alveoli are collapsed.
2) Thyroid function should be reassessed
3) The current medication should be reviewed again to help alleviate the symptoms.
4) I could see a number of medications here in the form of Thyroxine supplements, bronchodilators (proair), Antidiabetic medication. An interaction amongst them is common, did you check with your doctor about them?

Are you taking Proair according to the dose, duration and they way it has to be used?

Let me know if you have further enquiries.