What is the cause for tiny red pin prick marks all over and pus filled spots on scalp?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
Hi, my symptons are tiny red pin prick marks all over body aswell as some pus filled spots on hair roots on my body and I have a constant red sore throat. Ive been washing with dermol but doesn't seem to helping an sometimes I feel itchy and get spots on scalp aswell. Any suggestions? I have had this for nearly a year now it started on arms an now its everywhere.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible superficial folliculitis. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. You might be having a condition named superficial folliculitis. The clinical symptoms in this condition are: 1. Clusters of small red or pus-filled bumps that develop around hair follicles 2. Pus-filled blisters that break open and crust over 3. Red and inflamed skin 4. Itchiness or tenderness The constant red sore throat might also be due to an infection affecting the tonsillitis. There are many types of superficial (infecting upper part of hair follicle) and deep (infecting entire hair follicle) folliculitis. The folliculitis may be caused by various organisms: Superficial folliculitis is caused by staphylococcus, pseudomonas bacteria or can be due to Pseudofolliculitis barbae or Pityrosporum folliculitis. Mild cases of folliculitis often clear up without any treatment. But if the infection doesn't improve despite home care, appears to spread or recurs often after taking measures such as applying dermol, consult your doctor or a dermatologist. You may need antibiotics or antifungal medications to help control the problem. Please get your sore throat examined as well and take necessary treatment after doing throat swab culture if suggested by your doctor. Avoid wearing heat trapping clothing or swimming in hot water swimming pool. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What is the cause for tiny red pin prick marks all over and pus filled spots on scalp? 20 hours later
What tests do u recommend I ask my doctor to confirm my diagnosis? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update. While in most cases a clinical examination by the dermatologist is sufficient to diagnose folliculitis, if the condition is not responding to treatment then further tests are necessary to confirm your diagnosis. Your doctor might take a sample from one of the pustule and grow any bacteria in culture. Rarely a small skin biopsy sample might be taken for pathological evaluation. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek