What is the cause for small module on lungs?

During a pre op physical, xray showed a very small module on one of my lungs. I'm scared to death. No history of lung problems. I'm a 68 year old male with no family history of lung problems. Can you shed some light. My shoulder replacement is tomorrow. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are many causes of such nodules. Detailed Answer: Hello, There are many causes of such nodules and completely evaluation is needed to determine the cause. Though most feared causes is cancer, not all such nodules are cancerous.In fact commonest cause of such incidentally noted nodules is old infection related granulomas. So ideal next step would be to get this investigated with CT scan and if needed with Biopsy and PET scan.Doctor would also get few blood investigations done.Most such nodules need follow up. Hope this answers your query.Regards.