What is the cause for redness around incision area in ankle?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
3 inch incision to remove tissue from ankle. Stitches ready to come out. Patient notices some redness around area. Continues to treat with noes potion. Is redness normal?
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Certain degree of redness is expected and this is nothing to worry about since this is normal reaction of tissue. Stitches should be removed and then you should follow wound in next few days. If there is fever,pain and pus formation,you should use antibiotic creams or systemic antibiotics. If there is just slight redness,you should just shower it frequently and no treatment is necessary. It should pass in 10 days after stitches are removed. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause for redness around incision area in ankle? 15 minutes later
Very helpful. I will convey this information to my mother. Happy Holidays to you and your family, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: i am glad I can help. Serious wound complications are rare after such small incisions unless your mother has some chronic disease which may interfere with healing. So just dont worry,any serious infection can be treated by antibiotics if necessary. If you want you can attach photo of this scar if you have any doubts so I can comment it. Happy Holidays too. regards