What is the cause for numbness in tongue and bad taste in my mouth?

Hi I have had a really bad taste in my mouth now for about 3 months.. it all through day I am constantly rinsing my mouth out.. I have a block nose all the time and matter what I use I cant get rid of it..the dotor I saw gave up as she did t knkw what it was.. sometimes my tounge feel a little numb and it slimy in the morning.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that you are having can be due to dysgeusia. Dysgeusia is the distortion or decrease of the sense of taste. A very common cause is deficiency of zinc and vit B3. Try taking some multivitamin-multimineral supplements for some days and see if the symptoms persist. If the symptoms persist then other possibilities have to be probed.These include poor oral hygiene,fungal infections on the tongue or in the mouth area,endocrine disorders like diabetes,hypothyroidism, acid reflux and anxiety attacks. Try having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the bad taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. If the symptoms persist then consult a physician and get your blood sugar levels and thyroid hormone levels done. Also get a dental check up done. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL