What is the cause for hip pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Having pain in hip on weight bearing its in groin also and walking is difficut xray are normal on physical examine doc says pain while rotating internaly , problem sleeping on that side its been 15days now what could be this?
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to inflammation or tear. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Pain on internal rotation of the hip with normal X-ray can be due to an inflammation of the joint capsule or bursitis or labral tear. An MRI scan of the hip joint is the best investigation to detect such soft tissue abnormalities. Low levels of Vitamin D 3 can also aggravate such a joint pain. You need to start with mild pain killers and avoid lying on the painful side. Avoid all the painful activities of the hip. Doing a hot fomentation will also help in reducing the inflammation. In case the pain is persistent or increases then do consult an orthopedician for prescription medicines like muscle relaxants after proper investigations. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the cause for hip pain? 26 minutes later
ortho doc has prescriped me hifenac200 he did complete physical examination i m worrying abt stress fracture could it be this based on my symptom my ortho said if pain increases thn come else no worry also i hve weak bones since few months taking vit d 60 k ,if i type also or write pain comes in hand
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Stress fracture is ruled out on X-ray. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Hifenac 200 is a painkiller and will help in decreasing the inflammation. If there is no severe pain on weight bearing and you can walk properly then a stress fracture is less likely. The pain can be due to Vitamin D 3 deficiency. Do get your blood levels tested to know. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause for hip pain? 4 hours later
only mild pain on weight bearing but climbing stairs is painful walking is difficult but pain is bearable thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Fracture is not there. Detailed Answer: Hello. In that case fracture is not likely. Inflammation or labral tear is possible. Do get an MRI scan done to detect the cause. Regards.