What is the cause for frequent shooting pain in calf?

Hi doctor, I have shooting sticking pain in my left calf every few minutes
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: low calcium level is one cause Detailed Answer: Hello, I have read your query. The most common cause of calf pain that you are experiencing is low calcium levels. It is also seen with low potassium levels. In the setting of chronic disease like Deep vein thrombosis, this kind of pain is present too. I suggest you to check your serum calcium levels including serum potassium and sodium level. At your age, I usually recommend patients to take oral calcium supplements on a daily basis in view of age related osteoarthritis. Let me know other specific symptoms or pre-existing conditions that are associated with this pain. Get well soon.
Follow-up: What is the cause for frequent shooting pain in calf? 4 minutes later
What can I do to get some sleep from this pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: measures are below Detailed Answer: Hello, You can take over the counter available pain killers like Panadol for relief of pain. You can take it as and when required in pain. Together with this, elevate the limb that is causing you pain with a couple of pillows. You can use hot fomentation locally to get some relief as well. Drink an electrolyte supplement that is available over the counter like Electral water, or drink fresh fruit juices to replenish the electrolytes calcium, sodium and potassium. You can also take energy drinks with glucose. Regards,
Follow-up: What is the cause for frequent shooting pain in calf? 5 minutes later
Thank you doctor I will check it out
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: sure, take care Detailed Answer: Thank you too.