What is the cause for foam in stool?

Cardiologist
Question
my husband has foam in his stool. What is it? he was just treated for pancreatitis
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence.
I believe that foam in stools is recovering pancreatitis. For in pancreatitis, lack of pancreatic enzyme lipase that digests fats prevents fat absorption in the small intestine. Unabsorbed fats will reach the colon and irritate it, causing diarrhea. Loose, white, sticky, greasy, foamy, floating, smelly stool appearing several hours after a fatty meal is called steatorrhea.

Foamy diarrhea also could indicate various maladies, including celiac disease, IBS, parasitic infections and bile acid.

If you have any follow up query please do ask I shall be more than happy to answer.

Regards.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Internist and Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW