What is the cause for abdominal pain with severe vomiting and fever?

My 14 son was seen last night at the ER for sudden nausea, severe vomiting and fever. The CT scan showed that his stomeck was enlarged, but he does NOT have any stomeck or abdominal pain. What could be the cause? His eyes do appear a little bit jaundice, and he is still running a fever. When he tries to eat he said his throat feels like it closes up. He is NO longer nauseous, but doesn't feel like he can eat because of his throat. Please advise! He was diagnosed with Gastritis at the ER and Mesenteric Adenitis was also listed on his discharge papers, but he has NO ABDOMINAL PAIN! Please advise what I should do? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acute gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Severe vomiting and fever does sound like acute gastritis. Pain abdomen need not always be there or it could be mild especially in children.The reason why he is having throat pain/ difficulty in swallowing is most probably because of micro injuries that have occurred while he was vomiting which will resolve on its own. Mesenteric adenitis is also a mild condition which will resolve on its own as well. Enlargement of the stomach after vomiting is most often due to gaseous distention. However I would like to add here that another reason for nausea, vomiting and fever without abdominal pain is viral hepatitis ( more so because you feel he is a little jaundiced), i strongly advice you to get the following tests done complete blood count, liver function test and serum electrolytes. Please approach your doctor with my suggestion I hope I was of help to you, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish your son a speedy recovery Regards