What is the cause and treatment for pre-diabetes?

I am pre-diabetic. My blood sugar is highest in the mornings but most of the day it is ok. High in the a.m. is about 136-145, the rest of the day it is between 90-104 two hours after meals. My A1C is 6. I understand that there can be a blood sugar surge int he a.m. but what can I do to get it lowered in the a.m.? I am not currently on any meds for this.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: different possible treatments Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is understandable to be concerned about pre diabetes because of the potential risk of becoming a full blown diabetic. Blood sugar readings in the morning may be elevated due to different possible causes such as: (1) XXXXXXX phenomenon- in the early am, in everyone certain hormones are released that cause the increase in blood sugar readings. These hormones are cortisol and epinephrine. IN persons who are not prediabetic or diabetic, there is also the release of enough insulin in the body to combat this increase (2)eating late or using meals in the pm that may have high carbohydrate content (3) the liver also produces another hormone called glucagon that increases blood sugar readings. This hormone, realizing that the body is in a fasting state during sleep makes the hormone to maintain blood sugar levels Treatment:(1) a mild amount of activity after your evening meal would reduce readings. If it is not possible at this time, any form of exercise during the day would be helpful (2) reduce the carbohydrate content of your evening meal. Carbs would be found in rice/pasta/potatoes/bread/biscuits (3) the use of a low carbohydrate snack prior to bedtime would also help. Blood sugars go up mainly in response to carbohydrates but the use of a low carb meal would lengthen the time before the liver decides the body is fasting and starts to make glucagon (elevates blood sugar). Examples would be yogurt, sugar free snacks (4)weight loss if there is any excess weight (5)the use of metformin. Metformin is a drug that is used in both diabetics and prediabetics. In prediabetes , it lengthens the time before a person is converted to a full blown diabetic by reducing the body's resistance to insulin. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions