What is the cause and treatment for herpes?

Hello Doctor, My grandmother is 76 years old. Recently she has been diagnosed with herpes. I would be very obliged to know if there is any cure to this. Also what could be the reason that she has been infected?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As there is cure. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Herpes is treatable, if cured if treated appropriately. There are very good anitviral medications that are effective against herpes. However, a keen physical examination and the type of herpes identification are mandatory. Herpes is of two types- HSV 1 and HSV 2. HSV 1 usually infects the mouth and lips and so transmitted through kissing or through the exchange of premasticated food. HSV 2 usually occurs on genital organs and is transmitted through sexual contact. Hope I have answered your query. You may want to close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for herpes? 7 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Its about my grandmother again. She is infected at her back and waist. What kind of herpes do u think is it? And could you please prescribe some medicines?
Answered by Dr. Guru 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be Herpes zoster, also called Shingeles Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up! Based on your clinical description now, that she is infected at her back and waist, I think it may be Herpes zoster, also called Shingles. This occurs particularly in elderly and during stress which is caused by varicella virus(a kind belonging to herpes family) which was dormant for years. No recent exposure is needed for this. Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation / Your doctor will know about these drugs. Wish her good health!