What is the cause and treatment for foot drop?

My grandson has foot drop in both feet but no other symptons. He can climb upstairs, run and get off the floor ok wuth only a little difficulty
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Foot drop, etiology needs workup Detailed Answer: Good day Miss Jones! My name is Dr S XXXXXXX and i would like to help you with your grandson's bilateral foot drop. Miss jone i want you to know that Foot drop is a deceptively simple name for a potentially complex problem. Foot drop can be associated with a variety of conditions such as dorsiflexor injuries, peripheral nerve injuries, stroke, neuropathies, drug toxicities, or diabetes etc and so any thing to say about its out comes and treatment needs a complete work up and needs to be categorized in to neurologic anatomic or muscular and then needs to be treated accordingly. So i would recommend to seek a neurologist for some lab work up like Fasting blood sugar,Hemoglobin A1c, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate,C-reactive protein, Serum protein electrophoresis/ immunoelectroosmophoresis,BUN,Creatinine,Vitamin B-12 levels etc and some imaging studies like MR scans and EMGs electromyographies etc to sort out the etiology and i am sure you will find out what you are looking for. Providing the state of your grandson a little difficulty is a good thing and can be managed and every thing will resolve in maximum 3 months if the etiology is innocuous . SO consult the neurologist and let them decide what is best for your grandson. Miss XXXXXXX i hope i was of some help. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise i request you to please kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of your grandson and keep me posted. May the odds be ever in your favour Regards Dr S XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for foot drop? 6 minutes later
Becauae he does not have large calves is it unlikely to be muscular dystrophy. U have heard that this usually presents with large calves
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs work up Detailed Answer: Miss XXXXXXX thank you for asking again! I think you should seek the neurologist's help. Dystrophies have a different presentation. They have difficulty stand from a sitting position and foot drop is a compressive neuropathy and tibial nervecompression is different. Could be a dystrophy but that is too early to tell. SO kindly do the requested workup and let the paediatric nurologist decide what is best for your grandson. And walking upstairs is a negative reason to consider it a muscular dystrophy. but i repeat too early to tell. Needs work up. Let the professionals decide it after complete exam. Hope i was of help. Dont forget to close the discussion miss XXXXXXX I would be here if you need me Regards Dr S Khan