What is the cause and treatment for elevated SGOT and SGPT levels?

Hi I am suffering from polymyocitis and currently on a dosage of 5 mg Omnacortil. I was also on methotrixate but due to increased level of SGOT and SGPT my doctor asked me to withhold the methotrixate for a month. There were also days wherein i missed on my daily steriod dosage of 5 mg within this month and when 2 days back i got my tests done my CPK has increased to 2500 and SGOT and SGPT to 102 and 94 respectively. I have to go through a pre employment medical check up within this week. How can this be controlled immediately and will the increased level of SGOT and SGPT allow me to take a new job or will i be filtered in the pre employment medical check up.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stick to Prednisolone. Preemployment policy varies Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Sorry to say this. It is not possible to bring your SGOT and SGPT as well as CPK level to bring into normal level. These elevated enzyme parameters indicate that you have a active myositis. You should stick to Steroid therapy started by your Rheumatologist. Intravenous immunoglobulin is found to be effective. But you should discuss with your treating Rheumatologist whether the treatment option is available or not in their setting. Take high protein diet. Exercise regularly like aerobic exercises for 20 to 30 minutes a day. Regarding Premedical examination and Job fitness, These always varies from job to job and also based on their company policy. Thus we it entirely depend on company policy and your job type. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for elevated SGOT and SGPT levels? 42 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Manjeth. Can i understand the cause of my CPK, SGOT and SGPT levels not coming to normal now because i have been on medication for polymyocitis for the last 9 years and it has never risen to this extent once i am kept on steroids. Should i loose all the hopes on getting this controlled and bringing this to a normal level. Also, what are the risks associated in case of an elevated SGOT and SGPT. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Inflammation & Muscle damage. Increase steroid dos Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. Let me explain why it is not under control. There are two reasons. 1. It may be due to the acute flare of the inflammation and degeneration of muscles and resulting in release of huge muscle enzymes(CPK, SGOT, SGPT) into blood and thus detectable. 2. Steroid dose may not be sufficient to control the inflammation and muscle damage. Any way your Rheumatologist have to increase the dose of Prednisolone, the steroid that you are taking. Because Only steroid can control this inflammation and thus muscle damage. He may start Methotrexate once the inflammation is controlled. In Polymyositis, SGOT and SGPT are commonly increased due to Muscle damage not due to Methotrexate induced Liver toxicity. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for elevated SGOT and SGPT levels? 2 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. Manjeth. I hope this can be controlled and i can live my life as a normal human being? Will the prolonged dosage of steroids have some serious side effects (and also life threatening) and how can those be fought back. Also if u can help me with some dietery suggestions which can help me bring down my SGOT and SGPT levels at the earliest. Looking forward to your response. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. It can be controlled. Weight gain. Protein di Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes. Even it is not curable, it can be controlled by proper treatment and follow up. Weight gain is one of the common side effect faced by the Polymyositis patients who are on steroids. Regularly monitor your weight. If there is a weight gain, Exercise regularly to control the weight gain. As I already explained in previous reply, High protein diet will be helpful. Eat plenty of raw fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Add Nuts,Fish and seeds to the diet. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good Health.