What is the cause and treatment for edema in elbows?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
So I went to my doctor last friday for edema to my elbow. He drained it took out 6ml of fluid with some blood and sent it to lab. The office just called and is ordering Keflex for me to take and have to see the doctor tomorrow to discuss my results... I'm getting a little scared and need to understand what I might possibly have. In your experience what infections have been prevelant in these cases? just to give me some peace of mind. Thank you!
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. First,it may not be infectious elbow oedema at all. It can be just elbow effusion due to trauma,artritis or elbow irritation. If there was redness and pain then this is probably infected/inflamed. In every case you should not worry since this is very commonly seen and easily treated. 6ml is not something very significant. I dont expect some unusual analysis finding. It will probably show inflammatory cells and blood cells. If there is infection,in most cases this is causes by Staphylococcus auerus which is sensitive to most penicilin based antibiotics,especially cephalospornes. So Keflex will cover almost every possible infectious agent. You should also take some standard antiinflammatory painkiller. Wish you good health,feel free to ask. Regards