What is the cause and treatment for difficulty in swallowing after a SAH?

ENT Specialist
hi sir, myself XXXX, question is related with my father who suffered SAH on 2nd november 2013 his present condition is stable,he could sit on his own , walks a bit with support, recognizes people, could tie his shirt buttons etc. but he is unable to swallow , as soon as he start taking tea or water he starts coughing, he is on peg tube feed as of now. he speaks clearly just after taking tea or warm water but with dry throat his voice is not so clear. can his swallow reflexes be brought back ?? his age is 78 non diabitic, non hypertensive.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Laryngoscopy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Get a Videolaryngoscopy done either with a rigid angled endoscope or flexible nasopharyngosocpe. 2. This will help diagnose any vocal cord dysfunction and check if there is any aspiration into the lungs. 3. A detailed examination of the Cranial Nerve function may be repeated. Dysfunction of the tongue, palate, and throat may accompany the above and also be responsible for the unclear voice. 4. Based on these findings, treatment can be started. For example, if there is nerve injury in the larynx, steroids may be started. Get a review from the Chest Physician. 5. Recovery is likely to be slow (over a year or two) with residual dysfunction. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.