What is the cause and treatment for Alopecia areata?

Jan 2014

I am having hair disappearing on my left side of mustache and slightly getting in progress on the right side too. This happened since last four month. My doctor prescribed me with DIPROSON cream . I ahave been using since last three month but it does not seems to be that effective grow my hairs and preventing the progressions on the right side of mustache.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Alopecia Areata, Intra-lesional steroids Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would keep a possibility of Alopecia areata. It is an autoimmune condition and commonly present as focal patches of hair loss, most commonly over the scalp nut also on the beard, moustache or eyebrows or eyelashes. This is known as patch type OR focal alopecia areata Alopecia totalis is when hair loss involves the entire scalp and Alopecia universalis is when hair loss involves the entire body hair. In Focal type of Alopecia Areata, most of times, hair regrows spontaneously within 1 year (as it happened first time round with you, 5 years ago). But people often seek treatment because the bald patches are unsightly and are easily noticeable to others. Various treatment options in Focal type of alopecia areata in order of the choice of treatment: --Intra-lesional Triamcinolone acetonide is first line treatment in adults followed by other modalities like: --Topical potent steroids --Topical Minoxidil --Topical Anthranalin --Topical PUVA(psoralens +UVA therapy). All of them are effective. However I prefer Intra-lesional steroid in my patients of Alopecia areata. It can be repeated after 3 -4 weeks and usually hair regrow after 2 injections, given 3 weeks apart. Since you have been using Diprosone, which is a potent topical steroid and even after after 3 months (good enough trial) it does'nt seem to affect. In such a case if I was your treating doctor I would have recommended switching to intralesional steroids which is anyways, my first choice. take care regards
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for Alopecia areata? 15 hours later
Thanks a lot for your most sincere reply. I will contact my doctor to follow your advice if possible. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer: You are Welcome Detailed Answer: Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Regards