What is the average age for a child to start crawling?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter is turning one-year in mid-March. She hasn't started crawling nor walking yet. She can sit and stand but with support. I mean I have to get her sit up or stand. Once in the position she will maintain her position for a sufficient duration. Kids of her age in my locality are already through the above developmental stages like crawling and standing/walking. My kids seems to be disinterested in walking or crawling. We tried putting on her tummy off late but she slides backward not forward and that too for a very short lap. She eats well and is a happy child but at times all of a sudden she expresses her anger by crying at the top of her voice and simultaneously stiffening her body. I am not sure whether thats anger or something else.She was born normal(9 months delivery) with 3.5 kgs as birth weight. She babbles at lot and utter words like papa, dada, mama and other similar kinds. I am a bit concerned coz there are various posts on the internet saying that by the age of 11 months kid should be standing on her own or atleast crawl. In my case none of the situatuion exists. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later
I understand your concern as a caring and vigilant parent.
Please do not worry . Milestones like crawling , standing and walking vary from baby to baby and unless grossly delayed one need not worry. Remember each child is different.
Considering your baby has a healthy weight it might take some time for her to achieve motor milestones like walking though she has achieved good language milestones.
Though she is definitely delayed in crawling , please note that there are many normal healthy children who never crawled ( skipped crawling as a milestone ) but developed normal standing and walking milestones. Many a times some babies just scoot or slide on their buttocks instead of crawling . So you need not worry.
Since you mentioned stiffening while crying which is mostly normal , but I would recommend you get her evaluated by your pediatrician to rule out any nutritional deficiencies as well as any need for starting calcium and vitamin D supplements.
Encouraging more tummy time and playing with your baby will help her develop the muscles needed for crawling . You can help her take steps while in standing position .
Please do not compare your child to her peers and have patience . I assure you ll gradually see her achieve all her milestones .
Wishing your baby good health.
Follow-up: What is the average age for a child to start crawling? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your time.I do understand that developmental milestones are achieved kids differently. It's just peer parental pressure I guess. How long should I wait before calling for a paedtrician visit for daughter crawling or walking activity? As a follow up would you suggest use of walking aids like baby walker for my kid?As for scooting or sliding on buttock none of the activities happen with my daughter.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Answer1. You may wait till she attains 15 months or the next routine vaccination visit to get her musclosketal power assessed .In case she is not showing any progress ( absolutely no attempts) in her activity in one month then do visit her pediatrician soon.
Answer2 . Walking aids are not necessary for achieving walking. However you can use one for your baby strictly under supervision. It may create an interest in her to achieve her milestones.

Make sure you give her a balanced diet including breast milk/ formula and calcium XXXXXXX foods (raagi, bananas, chickoos, milk products etc

Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you all the best.