What is the alternative to "Lirica" for post nerve pain after Shingles?

I use for 8th month "Lirica " for post nerve pain after Shingles But it not help What I have to use to get XXXXXXX of that pain Thanks a lot Evgenia
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: there are different options Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic The pain that occurs after shingles can be severe in some persons. If lyrica is not working for you , there are other medications that may be able to relieve your pain. Lyrica is an anti seizure (fits) medication that is also used to treat chronic nerve related pain, this is why it was prescribed. There are other types of medications such as: (1) tricyclic antidepressants- these anti depressants are also very useful in nerve pain like yours. Examples are amitriptyline or nortriptyline. The dose can be started low and increased if needed (2) these can be combined with topical treatments such as capsaicin which can be applied once to 4 times a day (3) if these are not effective ,there are other medications such as gabapentin that can be used. You can ask your doctor to try one of the other medications. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What is the alternative to "Lirica" for post nerve pain after Shingles? 16 hours later
Thanks a lot for your answer But it all medicine not treat inflammation of nerve may be I use again some antibiotic? I did it 8th month ago ( valacyclovir -1000mg ) Best regard Evgenia
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer: unfortunately it would not help Detailed Answer: HI Valcyclovir is used in the acute or initial phases but is unfortunately not helpful to relieve any lingering pain. It helps with the virus in the initial phase but the pain in this phase is due to abnormal function of the pain receptors Please feel free to ask anything else