What is the alternative medication for synthroid?

I had radioactive iodine for Graves Disease in 1986. I have been on and off Synthroid since then. Synthroid causes me to have deep depression. My last go around, I was suicidal. Antidepressant were prescribed and monitored and changed. Is there any other drug that I can take. I am seriously so discouraged. I cannot take Synthroid anymore. The generics make it even worse.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later
Brief Answer: No other alternative Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am sorry to say that there is no other alternative for Levothyroxine for hypothyroid condition. Moreover Levothryroxine is known to cause hyperactivity and irritability but not depression. I would consider it a rare occurrence where Synthroid can cause depression. I believe the depression you have may not be linked to the Levothyroxine and may have to be dealt as a separate entity. Regards,
Follow-up: What is the alternative medication for synthroid? 41 minutes later
I've stopped the medication on several occasions and after three to five weeks I am back to normal. I've read lots of forums with woman who have had same experience. I am a very happy go lucky person and you are exact example of why I am so frustrated.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Synthroid cannot be the cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. I am sorry for not reaching your expectations. My duty was to enlighten you with the medical facts which are clinically and statistically proved through various studies and experiments. Low thyroid hormones (Hypothyroidism) is known to cause depression. This happens as brain cells receive less T3 resulting in disturbances in neurotransmitters like serotonin and GABA which lead to inhibition of the brain centers causing depression. Depression is the first symptom to appear in Hypothyroidism and the last one to go even after placing on Levothyroxine for years. Levothyroxine by itself causes activation of the brain leading to irritability and hyperactivity the exact opposite of depression. I am sorry, I may not be helping you here but I am sure that I am providing you the right information. Do consult a Psychiatrist to know the exact reason for your depression. Regards,