What is the affect of taking dothep along with another anti-depressant such as endep?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
what is the affect of taking dothep in conjunction with another anti-depressant such as endep?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Dothep contains dothiepin or dosulepin.
And Endep contains amitriptyline.
Both of these belong to tricyclic antidepressant drugs group.
As both these are having similar action, if used simultaneously that can lead to drug interactions.
And can increase the side effects due to anti-cholinergic activity like nausea, muscle stiffness, dizziness, mood changes, urinary retention, tremors etc.
So better to avoid simultaneous usage of both drugs. And choose any one of them with your doctor’s advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: What is the affect of taking dothep along with another anti-depressant such as endep? 15 minutes later
Would the sudden cessation of, say, Endep, to be replaced by Valium on a long term basis have the affect of an increase of the consumption of alcohol?

Valium contains diazepam.
Both alcohol and valium are central nervous system depressants. So drinking alcohol while taking valium may increase the side effects of valium and also the person may become more sensitive to the effects of alcohol.
So alcohol intake is not recommended while being on valium.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.