What is implantation bleeding and does it indicate pregnancy ?

Question
Hi I am 3o yrs old, i got my last period on may 4 and may 18-22 i saw light pink and brown spotting and my period is XXXXXXX 4 and still now didnt come what could be the reason, i am sexually active.. any help?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later

Bleeding which is pinkish or brownish in color and more like spotting rather than menstruation in an sexually active women could be 'implantation bleeding'. This occurs just before the expected date of periods and could be associated with minor cramps.

You had last menstrual periods on May 4 and May 17th was your expected ovulation days. Since you are sexually active and have missed your periods of XXXXXXX it is better to get an evaluation done for pregnancy and get pregnancy ruled out. You could get home pregnancy test done which is simple and efficient in detecting pregnancy. The test is performed using pregnancy kits which are readily available in market using few drops of early morning urine. Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Other causes are to be considered if pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come. They are stress, hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here if pregnancy is ruled out.

I would advice you to get the tests done for pregnancy first. Seek the help of gynecologist accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What is implantation bleeding and does it indicate pregnancy ? 40 minutes later
Hello Doctor, thank you for the quick response. I have tested at home pregnancy kit and it shows negative even this morning. Can I still be pregnant eventhough HPT shows negative. Can this be signs of menopause. Can menopause start at 30 years

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Pregnancy test kits are basically qualitative kind of test which just tests presence of hCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women. But this pregnancy test depends upon the particular level of hCG in the blood. So sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

If pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come a step wise evaluation would be required to find out the cause of delayed periods. These are not the typical signs of menopause and at 30 years of age, early menopause is less likely. The other causes of delayed periods which I have mentioned above need to be ruled out.

Regards.