What is coffee brown mucus coming out from feeding tube indicative of? Son has CP.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my son has cp and a feeding tube. he is 11 yrs old. when i opened his tube to feed him, coffee brown mucas came out. atleast 60 cc. what might it be
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A coffee brown mucus coming out from the feeding tube is indicative of a bleeding in the upper GI tract. It can be due to injury caused by the feeding tube itself or due to gastric ulcers.
You need to bring this finding to the attention of his treating physician so that he can rule out the possible causes after proper examination.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.