What is causing red flushing from upper chest upward to entire head? Tumor?

I have been experiencing almost daily beet red flushing from my upper chest upward to my entire head for the past three years. What would cause this symptom to occur of its own accord? Could it be from an adreninal rush being excreted by an adreninal gland tumor? What would be the root cause(s) of this ongoing flushing? My problem may likely be caused by a hormone imbalance, so perhaps this is a question best addressed by an endocrinologist.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Carcinoid syndrome is definitely worth ruling out. I noted that a previous endocrinologist evaluated you for the same and the result was negative. However, it may well be worth repeating the test and given the compelling symptoms I would recommend using other ancillary blood tests also. So the main test is the 24 hour urine 5HIAA. Others include 24 hour urine serotonin, blood chromogranin A and serotonin.
If you choose to undergo the 24 hour collection, it will worthwhile to add 'fractionated catecholamines and metanephrines' and cortisol and creatinine to the same sample in order to assess for other potential causes of flushing such as pheochromocytoma and Cushing's syndrome