What is causing crawling sensations on my skin?

Hi Doctor,I have been having tingling like ants crawling and itching all over my body including vaginal and anal area and sometimes scalp even face,worse at night.The most annoying is around the vaginal and butt area,but not inside the vagina or butt.I have not seen any worms.No rash or broken skin.what could this be?approx duration 5months.I think this question is related to the skin/hair and nails section,but it may actually relate to another specialty!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 59 minutes later

Three possibilities are coming to my mind from your symptoms. These are:

1)     The first possibility is of stress and anxiety neurosis-which can cause tingling or crawling sensations on the skin. You may need anti anxiety drugs for this.

2)     The second possibility is of 'Neurodermatitis' skin. Neurodermatitis is chronic itching which may be related to stress and anxiety initially but later on becomes a habit.

3)     The third possibility is of 'Parasthesia' skin which is due to dysfunctioning of neurons. It can occur due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated.

You may take some 'Vit B12 supplements' for awhile may be 2-3 months and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.