What is causing aching pain in shoulder with pins and needles sensation?

Jun 2015

hi there my name is XXXXXXX 53 years of age hard working carpet fitter i have aching pain top right shoulder for about 2 weeks pins and needles some times in fingers have had treament with caro pra felt great when done massage needle puncture felt great then sports theaepest massage hot stones ice pack much better go back to work starts again on voltarol takes pain away hot water bottle on back right feels great
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Presence of aching pain in top right shoulder with pins and needles sensation can be due to:
1. Nerve compression- as a result of pulled, torn or stressed muscle causing swelling which is pressing on the nerve
2. Bad posture
3. Spinal spondylosis
4. Injury to shoulder region
5. Neuropathy due to systemic diseases like Diabetes, Hypertension, etc.

Based on the fact that symptoms are getting relieved on chiropracty, physiotherapy, massage, hot compress, etc., and starts again on returning back to hard work, it points more towards the role of nerve compression behind as the cause all these symptoms.

Investigations like X-ray of the shoulder region & nerve conduction studies will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Intake of pain killers like voltarol or muscle relaxants can only provide symptomatic relief. However to look for a long term solution, I suggest you to consult a Neurologist & get a proper physical examination done. He/she will know about the aforementioned tests too. An appropriate management steps could be taken accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.