Ask a Urologist   »  

What is a red spot on the shaft of my penis?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have a oval shiny spot on the top of my penis shaft. It is a bit red, not bright, forms a thin transparent scab that peels off every other day. no pain or itching is involved. I thought at first it was an abrasion, but this continues to scale. has been there for 3 weeks
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Oval shiny redness on shaft of penis Detailed Answer: Hello, I had gone through your history and the the snap you have attached, A single erythematous,non itchy, non painful lesion without any discharge from the penis is most likely is due to mild trauma.This occur following constant friction during the act of masturbation or any sexual act. The trauma by the cloths or scratching in sleep can also present with same type of lesion. The skin over the penis is soft and very sensitive with mild trauma it can produce erythematous lesion like what you are having and takes some time to come back to the normal. STI (sexually transmitted infection) of any kind will have some symptom like pain, itching, burning or discharge.Your lesion doesn't look like any of the STIs. So your report and history doesn’t seem to be anything significant and you just apply any moisturizer to keep the skin soft. Hope i have cleared your doubts, if you have any query please feel free to post them. Thank you.
Follow-up: What is a red spot on the shaft of my penis? 39 hours later
I have had abrasions before, they healed within a week. This has been there for almost a month, and has not improved. It continues to shed a thin translucent scab every 2 days,and is actually a little bigger than when it was first noticed it.. Is there anything that I can apply?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Red lesion on Penis Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to answer your query, Before answering your question just I confirm you that you are not having diabetes because you have not mentioned in your medical history. As you are having translucent scab every than and again, it may be due to secondary bacterial infection following your abrasion on the penis. As it is there for a last one month you may require a course of oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic cream over the lesion. Maintain good Hygiene of the genitals during the infection. Try this for one week, definitely your symptoms will improve. Thank you.