What is a good diet to improve glucose level?

I tested out after a 9 hour fast and my glucose was 122 and my e Gr non-Africa WAS>59
What is a good diet to improve these numbers my age is 57 due I am 5"11 at 207 lbs General good health. But I do have Interstitial Cystitis that is in remission.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 22 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

According to the Recommendation of the ADA, you may ‎interpret your fasting ‎blood sugar as follows:‎

‎•‎     FBS < 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/l) = normal fasting blood sugar;‎

‎•‎     FBS 100–125 mg/dl (5.6–6.9 mmol/l) = IFG (impaired fasting ‎glucose);‎

‎•‎     FBS ≥ 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) = provisional diagnosis of ‎diabetes

Based on the above levels, your FBS is impaired, and you need to take up steps to control them

To move ahead, confirmation of your diabetes status you need to get evaluated and additional testing including the HBA1C and a complete lipid profile to assess your cholesterol.

The HbA1C test is currently one of the best ways to check ‎diabetes is under control. A normal non-diabetic HbA1C is 3.5 - 5.5 %. In diabetes about ‎‎6.5% is good.‎

If you have diabetes, your body cannot make or properly use insulin. This leads to high blood glucose, or sugar, levels in your blood. Healthy eating helps keep your blood sugar in your target range. It is a critical part of managing your diabetes, because controlling your blood sugar can prevent the complications of diabetes.

A registered dietitian can help make an eating plan just for you. It should take into account your weight, medicines, lifestyle, and other health problems you have.

Healthy diabetic eating includes

1. Limiting foods that are high in sugar
2. Eating smaller portions, spread out over the day
3. Being careful about when and how many carbohydrates you eat
4. Eating a variety of whole-grain foods, fruits and vegetables every day
5. Eating less fat
6. Limiting your use of alcohol
7. Using less salt

Recommended foods
Quality is much more important than quantity. Make your calories count with these nutritious foods:

Focus on the healthiest carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes (beans, peas and lentils) and low-fat dairy products.

Fiber-rich foods can decrease the risk of heart disease and help control blood sugar levels. Foods high in fiber include vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes (beans, peas and lentils), whole-wheat flour and wheat XXXXXXX

Eat heart-healthy fish at least twice a week. Fish can be a good alternative to high-fat meats. Cod, tuna and halibut, for example, have less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than do meat and poultry. Fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring are XXXXXXX in omega-3 fatty acids, which promote heart health by lowering blood fats called triglycerides. However, avoid fried fish and fish with high levels of mercury, such as tilefish, swordfish and king mackerel.

'Good' fats. Foods containing monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats — such as avocados, almonds, pecans, walnuts, olives, and canola, olive and peanut oils — can help lower your cholesterol levels. Eat them sparingly, however, as all fats are high in calories.

High-fat dairy products and animal proteins such as beef, hot dogs, sausage and bacon contain saturated fats. Get no more than 7 percent of your daily calories from saturated fat.
Trans fats are found in processed snacks, baked goods, shortening and stick margarines and should be avoided completely.

Sources of cholesterol include high-fat dairy products and high-fat animal proteins, egg yolks, shellfish, liver and other organ meats. Aim for no more than 200 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol a day.

Sodium. Aim for less than 2,000 mg of sodium a day.

You might consider consulting a dietitian for advice on a ‎diabetic diet and your physician, for ‎management of diabetes ‎and other associated conditions. ‎

I hope you find my suggestion helpful.‎

Please feel free to consult me again if you have additional queries

Dr Anvekar.