What is Paresthesia?

Nov 2013

What is Paresthesia? My neurologist has recently diagnosed me with paresthesia. He did this without any test. I do have to go in for a NCV study next week.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Paresthesia refers to abnormal sensations, which one experiences in hands and feet. These sensations are commonly described as tingling, pins and needle sensations, burning, etc. So, paresthesia is a symptom (as described by the patient). So, no test is required to diagnose this.

Paresthesia is a symptom of nerve disease. Commonly, it is because of nerve disease in feet and hands, which can be diagnosed by NCV- nerve conduction velocity. It can also occur due to disc prolapse in the lower back, which is present in your MRI report, that you have enclosed.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any follow-up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Vellore), DM (Neurology, CMC Vellore) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: What is Paresthesia? 15 hours later
What other kind of test am I going to have done once I find out how much nerve damage there is? & what are my treatment options?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

If the NCV test shows features of nerve damage, then one needs to find out the reasons for that. These include testing for diabetes, thyroid problems, biopsy may be done.

Treatment options for paresthesias include pregabalin or gabapentin. In addition, the underlying cause would require treatment.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: What is Paresthesia? 13 hours later
What other nerve diseases are there that has paresthesia as a symptom? I had a full blood work up in February of this year & everything was normal.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

I have mentioned the common causes of nerve diseases causing paresthesia above.
Less common causes include infections such as leprosy, vasculitis (lack of blood flow to the nerves), trauma or compression of the nerves, damage to the nerve coverings (demyelinating illness), etc.
Your doctor's examination and NCV may give a clue to the likely cause in your case.
Please get back if you want to ask me any more questions.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)