What is CLL and SLL. How do people die from it?

I heard an oncologist say, "I have never seen anyone die of CLL/SLL." So, what do they die of?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

The oncologist was right CLL per se would not cause death unless other blood related cancers. The infections and secondary cancers in a person were thought to be the most common causes of death in a CLL person.

Pneumonia is primary amongst them.

Hope this answers.
Follow-up: What is CLL and SLL. How do people die from it? 7 hours later
What other infections ... ulcer on leg, stomach ulcer, sinusitis ... will you name a few?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory infections common

Detailed Answer:

Some of the infections could be because of inherent suppression in the CLL and others therapy related. So on the basis of drug used in therapy the infections vary.

Of the multiple organisms infecting such patients bacteria are commoner than virus and fungi. The majority of bacteria, caused by common organisms such as Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. It includes pneumonia, UTI, meningitis, otitis media (brain and middle ear).

Are you looking for any specific organism or infection, let me know I can give my opinion on it?
Follow-up: What is CLL and SLL. How do people die from it? 3 hours later
No specific bacteria, but I have a completely blocked maxillary sinus left, gastritis/peptic ulcer, itchy spots on leg that are small and started as a tiny fluid filled bump.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All of them are not related

Detailed Answer:

All of them are not related to one organism. Staph aureus is responsible in the blisters on legs and maxillary sinus. All of them are not related to CLL per se but because may be because of medicines. I think we have to deal with each problem separately.