What followup treatment would be required after mammogram for sore and leaking breasts ?

Follow-up to mammogram needed.

Female, age 41, normal weight. Two kids, ages 8 and 4 1/2. Both breast fed. Last one weaned almost 4 years ago.

I have been notified by mail that I need a "follow up study" after a screening mammogram I had on 7/26/11. I am not sure what the finding was, but I had a honey-colored, sticky/stringy nipple discharge about a week ago (7/24/11) about 3 drops from the left nipple, and about a drop from the other side, both only when squeezed. It was gone the next day.

Today I'm having some mild pain in the left breast. I am worried about what is wrong. I will call on Monday to get the follow up scheduled. I just got the letter on Saturday.

I am wondering what kind of follow up study might be needed, and what is most likely going on. My period is due to start in a couple of days, so I'm hoping the breast pain is due to that, though the left breast is more sore than the right one.

Thanks very much for any insight. It's very hard to wait and wonder.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Normally if the mammogram report is normal, there is no need of a follow up study.
Honey colored sticky nipple discharge can be inflammatory in nature or may have got some abnormal cells in it. Your mammogram must have shown an area of abnormal density.
Now you should expect additional testing (diagnostic mammograms repeated, ultrasound, and/or biopsy) to determine whether cancer is there or not. It all might be due to a breast infection or abscess as there is pain ion your left breast.
You need to have all the follow up investigations to know exactly what has happened.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What followup treatment would be required after mammogram for sore and leaking breasts ? 43 hours later
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I had the second mammogram today and it was normal. There was an area of possible thicker density in the first mammogram, as you suggested, but it was OK in the second mammogram.

The breast pain is lessening and I suspect it is normal premenstrual swelling, though I am not sure why it was worse on the left side. Perhaps there was a cyst there.

My OB/Gyn examined me yesterday for the nipple discharge and said the color and texture found were normal for a woman who has breasfed in the past.

Thank you again for your attention to my questions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again,

I am happy to know that your repeat mammogram has come out normal.

Sometimes a mild local inflammation may cause abnormal intensity on the scan which resolved on its own by the good body immunity.

Since mammogram is normal you need not worry.