What factors affect spermatogenesis?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor, I thik i may have low sperm count. i understand gonadotropins and testoterone play a key role in spermatogenesis. But is there any other hormones or signals involved that helps spermatogenesis. For example if, if gonadotropins and testosterone were the only chemicals present, is this enough for proper spermatogenesis to occur?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Spermatogenesis Detailed Answer: Hi I would like to give detailed answer. Before that please let us know your sperm count and low parameters such as motility and morphology. I would like to comment after seeing your reply. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 12 hours later
Dear Dr Koregal, I didnt do a test yet but suspect I could be infertile (my partner cannot get pregnant) I did have past steroid treatment aged 14 and don't know if I had sperm at this age or not. And maybe if steroid damaged future fertility. I understand spermatogenesis takes 60 days, so high levels of gonadotropins and testosterone are required through this period. But can spermatogonia be 'fast tracked' to mature sperm in 1 day or is this completely impossible? Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi Spermatogonia when they undergo maturation in different parts of testis and epididymis takes more than one day. Gonadotropin levels needs to be normal level and not high. However I didn't understand why you don't want to get semen analysis done. If your partner is not getting pregnant please get your semen analysis. If its normal she might need HSG to test tubal patency. Hence please get semen analysis soon to diagnose problems and treat soon. Regards

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 24 hours later
Thank you Dr Koregal, i hope to have semen analysis done soon. In the meantime, can you please advise if theres a possibility the steroid i had in early teens caused my first sperm maturation? I feel maybe from the first tablet i took, this led to spermatogonia to become mature sperm from first day.....i feel this is possible. Kindly could you advise me why this would not be possible? Thanks and Best Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX I believe already we had discussions few months back. I am not sure if it was you. Any way let me explain. The steroids you mention have been take few years back . Steroids may or may not have influenced your sperm maturation during teenage years when you took steroids. That was temporary phase and thats it. It wont carry on as steroid effect would have worn out long back. Hence it is not possible any of its effects lingering on so long. Its not even hypothetical question to happen. There is no question of any of those steroidal effect now. Please get semen analysis done and it would be prudent to have discussion with analysis report in hand. Regards

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 21 hours later
Hello Dr Koregal, I know theres most likely no effect till now. But my concern is , the 'first' time my body was able to produce mature sperm came from use of steroids. I know spermatogenesis in humans takes approx 65 days under influence of FSH and LH...but is it physically/biologically possible for whole process to be done in 1 day ? Best Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi Under any circumstances even hypothetically it is not possible for the spermatogenesis to occur in one day. Regards

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr Koregal, If you dont mind in simple terms briefly, why is it not possible? Wishing you all the best. Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Requires time Detailed Answer: Hi Its a complex process involves differentiation of cell lines under gonadotropin influence. Testicular cells like sertoli cells need time ti process these cell lines and make spermayocyte and testosterone exposure needs time. Mere stetoids cannot hasten this process to one day. Regards

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 23 hours later
Thank you Dr Koregal for your valued opinions. I have final question on increase of Gnrh pulse secretion in beginning of puberty. Many factors are implicated ie leptin , kisspeptin, GABA etc... My question: is it possible the steroid treatment had a stimulating effect through these factors to then stimulate Gnrh secretion? And thus have scenario opposite to negative feedback mechanism idea....or is negative feedback also present even in beginning of puberty? Thanks and Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi, You are right. GnRH Pulse in the beginning of puberty starts with negative feedback. Otherwise it becomes disease without negative feedback. This is not affected by steroid of few months. The hypothalamopitutary axis is strong enough and does not get affected by steroid so easily. I hope it clarifies your doubt. Regards

Follow-up: What factors affect spermatogenesis? 18 hours later
Ok . In the beginning of puberty, is it possible for steroids to actually have a positive feedback on Gnrh secretion ie stimulate little secretion....and actually have opposite effect to negative feedback? Thanks Dr Koregal and Wishing you all the best. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi Steroid at regular used therapeutic doses don't have the positive feedback on the GnRH pulsatility. In your case I don't think you need to worry about it. Please get semen analysis done. Regards