What factors affect language development in children?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, I have a 16 months old son, my husband and I speak to him in Mandarin, myparents speak to him in Cantonese, and he watchs English cartoon, so my question is will it slow him down in speaking English when he goes to daycare or preschool later on? My parents can't speak English. So is my husband... Since he has been listening to 3 different languages, (English tv show only) , will it affect him in understanding english later on when he goes to day care of preschool?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: you talk in English with him. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes , this sometimes causes problems especially if the child's basic intelligence is average. But not always!!! I would prefer that you talk to him in English at home also as you mention others do not know . This will help him to pickup routine words. A child's brain is very plastic,can modulate and absorb many things unlike adult brain. So you should not face any problems normally. Sometimes you will bee surprised to see him change the language according to people!!!!! You keep English with him. Good luck Dr Uma