What else other than Pulmonary Hypertension can cause left artery to enlarge in an xray?

Pulmonologist
Question
What else other than Pulmonary Hypertension can cause left artery to enlarge in an xray? History of getting bronchitis as well. What causes are less serious?

Thanks
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following;

1. Pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary embolism are two common causes of left pulmonary artery enlargement.

2. You need to get a 2D Echo and CT Thorax - angiography to evaluate the lesion.

3. Sometimes left hilar adenopathy (lymph node enlargement) can give rise to such an image on chest xray.

4. If sometimes the xray film is rotated then such an impression may be there on chest xray.

5. Since you have history of recurrent bronchitis, you need to get it evaluated by visiting a pulmonologist. A pulmonary function test may be required and inhaled medicines might relieve your symptoms.

All the causes mentioned above are manageable but right approach to diagnosis is essential.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: What else other than Pulmonary Hypertension can cause left artery to enlarge in an xray? 14 minutes later
A lot of what I read about pulmonary hypertension is a death sentence but your refer to them as manageable? If it is this is it really manageable? Wouldn't I have more symptoms?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following.

1. Pulmonary Hypertension is irreversible but it can be managed by medicines (for pulmonary hypertension). The medicines do slow the progress of pulmonary hypertension. Also underlying cause needs to be treated except in cases of primary pulmonary hypertension. If the underlying cause is reversible like in pulmonary embolism ,then the pressures ca be back to normal.

2. Do consult your physician regarding long term oxygen therapy in pulmonary hypertension.

3. Also please do not be stressed about this and do continue your anti anxiety medications.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist