What does "sphenoid sinuses are unremarkable" mean?

What does sphenoid sinuses are unremarkable?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

If I am not wrong this may be a statement in a scan report or a Xray report.

Sphenoid sinus is one of the para-nasal sinuses contained in sphenoid bone of the skull ,Paranasal sinuses are air-filled spaces, communicating with the nasal cavity, within the bones of the skull and face, Which have functions like below :

> Decreasing the relative weight of the front of the skull, and especially the bones of the face.
>Increasing resonance of the voice.
>Shock absorbers during a blow on face.
>Insulating sensitive structures like dental roots and eyes from rapid temperature fluctuations in the nasal cavity.
>Humidifying and warming inhaled air because of slow air turnover in this region.

The above statement means that they didn't find anything unusual during the CT scan or the Xray in the sphenoid sinus.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: What does "sphenoid sinuses are unremarkable" mean? 15 hours later
I have been told that I need to have a polpy removed and have a blockage to the right nasal passage and that minor surgery should be donef or this and to remove the polpy and a possible second polpy in the right nasal cavity as well. My question I've of people getting all this done and their breathing dosen't change, does sinus surgery work and does it pay to get it done?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up ,

Yes , you will get relief from the symptoms once the polyps are removed.May be it takes time for the result to be optimal , as there would be oedema ( swelling ) due to the surgery wound soon after the surgery for some days.

You can proceed to get it done.

Wish you Good Health.