What does severe cramping with recurrent vomiting indicate?

my boyfriend started violently vomiting about 4am sat night . he had stopped vomiting this morning but has severe cramping still. can't get out of bed.the vomiting was hourly. is there anything emergency room can do for him? or is there anything I can do for him. I've had him sip Gatorade. he has kept down almost a full bottle taken the entire day to drink
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Visit the ER if he is in distress... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry about your friends condition. He seems to be in severe pain. Severe cramping and recurrent forceful vomiting indicates something deleterious is happening like an infection or toxin from a food intake. In most cases, the symptoms tend to improve. I am happy that your friend is able to keep the fluid down; but if he is still in distress and with severe cramps, I would recommend him to visit the ER. There are over the counter available antispasmodics that help in some cases. Peppermint is a classical example. However I am not sure if it would suffice him. You can try this along with peptobismol as he plans to visit the ER. I wish him a speedy recovery. Regards
Follow-up: What does severe cramping with recurrent vomiting indicate? 4 minutes later
he is severely allergic to aspirin ...can he take pepto?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not use pepto... Detailed Answer: Hi, If he is severely allergic to aspirin, I would NOT use peptobismol in view of its salicylic ingredients. In such cases, I would use either bentyl or buscopan to reduce the cramps. I am unsure if these are available over the counter. You can check with the pharmacist about it. That being said, if the cramps are very severe an ER visit for injectable medicines is going to be worthwhile. Regards
Follow-up: What does severe cramping with recurrent vomiting indicate? 3 minutes later
he's asleep now, should I wake him to take him or let him rest
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Let him sleep... Detailed Answer: If he is asleep, I guess he is not as distressed as I thought he was initially. The ER visit can wait. Let him sleep now. Encourage him to drink sips of gatorade whenever he wakes up. Perhaps he can try prilosec OTC which I routinely prescribe for few days to all my patients with such problems. It keeps the acid down and prevents similar episodes in the recent future. He seems to be stable now. You may relax. Reassess his symptoms after he wakes up and visit a doctor if needed. Hope this helped. Regards