Ask a Urologist   »  

What does rusty color urine indicate?

hi.I am a 53 yr old male.actually I noticed rusty colored urine when I looked into my toilet this morning. It looked like blood as it had sunk to the bottom (I did not pass a stool so the 'blood' seemed clearly visible). I keep getting the urge to take a pee but only a few dark colored drops come out. However, when I drink a lot of water clear pee comes out. I tried putting pressure on the area above the root of my penis and there was a slight spurt with small red flecks....I am paranoid! please help
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most probably blood in urine caused by infection-- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. It is most probably blood in the urine called hematuria. Most probably the symptoms point to infection in urine. However, hematuria needs to be evaluated according to protocol - to rule out infection, stone or tumor mass. So the tests need to be done are Urine analysis, urine culture and ultrasound scan to start with. Treatment is based on the results. Hope this helps, Kindly write back for doubts if any------------ Truly,
Follow-up: What does rusty color urine indicate? 1 hour later
This usually occurs in the mornings (started about a week ago) but not regularly. will I be cured of the problem with medication and what further precautions do I need to take?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Cause needs to be found out by tests-------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome back. As i already wrote, the first step is to confirm if it is blood, by urine analysis. The next step is find the cause of the blood by the tests i had mentioned. Once the cause is known the treatment can be started. Precautions as of now is to take plenty of water, fruit juices and cranberry juice. Truly,