What does presence of blood in stools mean?

My wife has been getting blood from her bottom. I think it is from the cortef she has been taking the last 2 weeks. Should she go to the emergency room at the hospital today, or wait and talk to the doctor tomorrow?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 45 minutes later

Presence of blood in the stools or bleeding from the rectum, could be a sign of hemorrhoids , Presence of severe pain while having bowel movements along with the blood from rectum is a sign of anorectal fissures.

Please note if your wife has some important signs, including -
1. Chest pain,
2. Loss of consciousness or state of reduced responsivity
3. Pale skin color (pallor)
4. Severe prostration (Sweating), moist skin
5. Incontinence of urine or stools,
6. Decreased or no urine output
7. Low body temperature
8. Anxiety or agitation
9. Cool, clammy skin
10. Rapid breathing

Presence of such signs could indicate that she need immediate medical attention as the bleeding is very severe and she might be having a low blood circulation associated with the blood loss. In such a situation a visit to the ER might be necessary.

In case such symptoms are absent and your wife is stable, then she can wait until the next day to see her usual doctor.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any additional questions that you might be having.