What does painful foliate papilia on tongue and glands on neck and shoulder indicate?

General Surgeon
I just went to an ent and he found nothing visually indicating cancer using a scope and looking visual. I have large painful foliate papilia on the left side of my tong. The Ent said it was not a big deal. However they hurt and i have glands in my neck shoulder that swell and hurt and go back down then swell up again only on left side at the base of skull and in my trapisous all the was to my arm pit. Does cancer cause the glands swell painfully and go back I have been dealing with this for three years
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: it can be due to infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX this is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon. The glands you are having in your shoulder and neck can also be due to infection, and their recurrent and painful nature all point to a benign condition, as cancer lumps dont go by themselves and are usually painless. I would suggest that you take a course of antibiotics and see, if those swellings still persists get an FNAC done, also get a biopsy of the papilla on your tongue if its still large after the antibiotics. That would help in getting to the diagnosis, but i still feel its due to infection. Moreover eat healthy, avoid cold food as to seem to get infected repeatedly, take multivitamins and antioxitants to boost up your immunity. Hope i have answered your query. If you have any further questions i will be happy to help. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma