What does "multicystic pineal lesion has been found" mean in an MRI?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
Mdt meeting says that from mri with contrast a multicystic pineal lesion has been found, I am waiting to see the neurologist and just wondered if you can tell me more information about what has been seen on the mri
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Lesion may be due to pineocytoma,glial cyst,mets. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us According to the MRI report there is multicystic lesion in pineal gland.Pineal gland is present in the brain and there may be many reasons for multicystic lesion. It may be due to cystic pineocytoma,glial cyst,metastasis etc. Mostly these lesions are benign in nature and further treatment like surgical resection depend upon clinical findings and complications. You should consult neurosurgeon. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "multicystic pineal lesion has been found" mean in an MRI? 3 minutes later
What is the difference between a multicystic pineal lesion and just a cystic pineal lesion and I also have symptoms of vertigoI have also been told I have optic neuritis due to loss of vision in 1 eye could this be related to the multicystic pineal lesion ? Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back Muticystic lesions means multiple loculations within the pineal gland due to septa whereas simple pineal cyst is unilocular and there is no septa within it. Optic neuritis is not due to pineal lesion. Vertigo may be due to pineal lesion.It is important to know from report about compression to surrounding structures due to pineal lesion. You need proper evaluation by a neurosurgeon.Other causes of vertigo must be ruled out. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX