What does left axis deviation and QS with negative T in 3 along with QS in aVF mean?

Question
What does left axis deviation and QS with negative T in 3 along with QS in aVF mean
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Left axis deviation (LAD) is where mean electrical axis of ventricular contraction of the heart lies between -30° and -90° of the frontal plane. It is seen in conditions where there is increased electrical activity from the left wall of the heart, some examples are:
Left ventricular hypertrophy,
Left anterior fascicular block,
Inferior myocardial infarction
Atrial septal defect
Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome etc.

The commonest presentation amongst the above is left ventricular hypertrophy which is seen in hypertensive individuals. It is not serious if exist in milder degrees.

A QS/QRS is a normal wave of less importance unless presents with variation in its amplitude.

T wave inversion indicates presence of ischemic heart disease if present in the chest leads other than 3, aVF, aVR and aVL. If present in lead 1, 2, V1 to V6 further investigation to rule out myocardial ischemia has to be planned for.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: What does left axis deviation and QS with negative T in 3 along with QS in aVF mean? 6 hours later
This was the result sent to me via a letter having seen the cardiologist. I have high cholesterol of 7.5 and am an ex smoker, other than that I eat healthy and exercise regularly. Within the letter he stated that he believed that all this combined with ECG results may indicate significant coronary heart disease. This is the first I have heard of it as none of this was mentioned at my last appointment. An appointment is being made for me to have a coronary angiogram and to see the cardiologist in 3 months. I am obviously concerned as nobody has actually told me what this means... I have an idea now thanks to your answer above...but what does this mean for me now?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, considering your cholesterol levels, history of smoking along with the EKG reading you posted above, I too believe you are at risk or already have a coronary block.

Coronary artery is the blood vessel which supplies blood to the heart muscle. With above risk factors the vessels are prone to be blocked compromising the circulation to the heart wall and leading to heart attack.

I agree with your doctor and recommend you to get an angiogram as early as possible.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What does left axis deviation and QS with negative T in 3 along with QS in aVF mean? 23 hours later
Thanks for your help with this.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Wish you good health.