What does it mean when I feel my tailbone when I sit down and lean back? Not painful but annoying pressure

Good

Question
What does it mean when i feel my tailbone when i sit down and lean back. It is not really pain but annoying pressure.
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later

These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:

1)     Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2)     Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3)     You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4)     Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: What does it mean when I feel my tailbone when I sit down and lean back? Not painful but annoying pressure 1 hour later
Thank you.

Questions.

1 how did i do this or how did it happen?
2 will it get better on its own or do i have to medicate it?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Coccydynia occurs when your coccyx, or the surrounding tissue, becomes damaged. The coccyx can be damaged in a number of different ways, although in a third of coccydynia cases it is not possible to identify a cause. Most commonly, it is due to local trauma like a fall on the tailbone can inflame the ligaments or injure the coccyx or the coccygeal attachment to the sacrum. Other causes are being overweight, poor posture and repititive strain to the spine.

You should follow the above mentioned measures and it should become fine. Anti inflammatory medicines will help. If the symptoms persist then you should get it evaluated from a doctor.